Hancock Park (by DSI Entertainment Systems)
DSI ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS (LOS ANGELES, CA) PRESENTS:
“HANCOCK PARK”, MEDIA ROOM PROJECT IN 100 YEAR OLD HOME
Project Highlights from DSI:
The key objective of this project was to update the existing Media Room system as it had been largely untouched in 11 years. The old plasma TV, DLA projector and audio system needed to be updated and improved. As this project was part of a much larger whole-house system overhaul, the Media Room benefited from those updates as well.
The layout of the room was pre-determined and not much could be changed about the layout and architecture. The walls were already custom upholstered which definitely helped with producing great sound. One of the key benefits of the Levinson/JBL system is that we were able to properly calibrate the system and compensate for a “less than perfect” space. The main cabinet that housed all of the speakers, TV and electronics was modified to properly locate all of the new equipment for the Media Room, as well as the supporting hardware for the rest of the home. A custom designed cooling system was also put in place that silently keeps temps under control. Since most of the equipment is located in the Media Room, it was important to keep noise to a minimum.
The JBL/Levinson system was calibrated using the JBL Synthesis ARCOS system. While the ARCOS calibration target is not exactly the same as the SMPTE/THX target for cinemas, it is based on that standard and modified for the room size. The system was measured to obtain THX max SPL levels in all speakers playing simultaneously with no audible distortion.
This system is worthy of recognition due to the thorough engineering, attention to detail, and a no-compromise approach to the technology. From the high-end Levinson/JBL audio and Samsung/Lumagen video system, the Media Décor moving art system, the full-featured Digital Media System to the bullet-proof computer network, nothing was left on the table. The client has complete control over all subsystems (lighting, HVAC, shading, Pool/Spa) in all parts of the home from the Media Room touch panel or their iPad’s.
Since the home is nearly 100 years old, architecture needs were simple: Don’t change anything! We were able to slightly modify the TV wall cabinetry to accommodate the new larger TV and center speaker. Other than that, no changes were made to the home’s architecture or design.
CUSTOM “SYN-TWO” SYSTEM
JBL Synthesis System Equipment:
- (2) SAM1HF High-Frequency THX Horn Module
- (2) SAM2LF Dual 8″ THX Low-Frequency Woofer Module
- (1) SAM3HA 3-Way, Dual 6 1/2″ Center Channel Speaker
- (4) (CLIENT SUPPLIED) Triad Surround Speakers
- (2) S2S 15″ Video Shielded, 300 Watt THX Subwoofer
- (1) Mark Levinson No502 Media Console
- (1) SDEC3000 8 x 8 Digital Equalizer, Driver/Screen Compensation, Time Alignment
- (2) SAM12X Passive X-Over
- (1) S7165 7 x 160 Watt THX Amplifier – Balanced
- (1) S820 2 x 200 / 1 x 800 Watt Bridgeable THX Subwoofer Amplifier – Balanced
- Samsung PN-59D8000 59 Inch Plasma HDTV
- Lumagen Radiance XE-3D Video Processor
- Media Decor Elite-65 Moving Art TV Concealment System
- Crestron Digital Media
- 2 Kaleidescape KPLAYER-M 500A Blu-Ray Player
- AppleTV 2
- Roku XD/s HD Network Video Player
- Apple MacMini
- 4 DirecTV HD DVR – His, Hers, Guest 1, Guest 2
- Crestron TPMC-8X
Installation Contributors & Other Info:
System Design/Install: DSI Entertainment Systems http://www.dsientertainment.com/
Builder: JWK Construction, Inc.